Canaries Are Dying
Spring Vis Sources
- Driftwood: 4 pawns Herbam. Driftwood appearing on the beach near Eilean Chon after the spring equinox contains 4 pawns Herbam vis.
- The Salmon of Truth: either 4 pawns Mentem, or Common Sense for one year. Every spring, one salmon in the Mhoireastain flowing into the Loch grants wisdom, or more usually 4 pawns Mentem.
- Peat bog (Spring): 4 pawns Perdo. North of the covenant’s pastures is peat bog that traps unwary travelers and emits vile stenches. The first corpse (human or large animal) dug out after the spring thaw contains 4 pawns of Perdo.
- An ancient battlefield (Spring): 4 pawns Corpus. One of the covenant’s pastures was the site of an ancient battle where many died, ending a feud. At sundown, on the last day of May, human bones surface at each of the cardinal directions. Each bone is a pawn of Corpus vis.
Summer Vis Sources
- Roses of Eilean Chon: 10 pawns Creo. There are ten rose bushes growing around the common lab on Eilean Chon. In early summer, they bloom, and one bloom from each bush is a pawn of Creo.
- Mandrake: 8 pawns Corpus. In a certain area of the forest that abuts the covenant are found a number of mandrakes. If harvested under the light of the first full moon of the summer, each mandrake yields a pawn of vis. However, the scream of a mandrake being uprooted can kill a man, so care must be taken.
- Summer Rain: 15 pawns Vim. The last rains of the summer falling on Eilean Chon yield vis if collected.
Autumn Vis Sources
- Fleece of the Lucky Ewe: 4 pawns Animal. An incredibly fertile wild ram appears and impregnates ewes. The first ewe impregnated will produce 4 pawns of animal vis in her fleece.
- Samhain’s Judgement: 4 pawns Imaginem, 4 pawns Mentem. Every year on Samhain, an ancient stone in the wall surrounding the graveyard in Cill Chuimein summons the spirit of a Daemon to speak for the dead that died during the year. If the magi can speak to it about the good and bad and render fair judgments on a number of ghosts that it brings before them, it dissolves and leaves behind a gift of vis. If they fail to judge the dead correctly for their deeds then the ghosts of the dead are released to attack.
- The Monster’s Eggs: 8 pawns Animal. In late Autumn or early Winter, the Niseag lays its eggs on the loch bottom. Each egg is a pawn of Animal vis.
- The Spring in Glencoe: 10 pawns Intellego. In Glencoe, there is a spring of incredibly pure, clean water. If one draws from the spring on the autumnal equinox, the spring produces 10 pawns of Intellego vis.
Winter Vis Sources
Rockface: 4 pawns Terram. A few miles upstream from Inbhir Mhoireastain, the River Mhoireasteain cuts through a wide ravine. On the granite rock-face there, coloured veins appear each winter after weathering that yield Terram vis.